Tuesday, October 21, 2014

best early christmas gift ever

Christmas came early this year! I have been pining over a stand mixer for quite some time. My mom delivered big time- not only did I get a Kitchenaid stand mixer, but it is the fancy schmacy professional model with the bowl lift. I wasn't sure if I would prefer the bowl lift or tilt head model, but I'm really liking the bowl lift- it fits perfectly under the kitchen cabinets! 

I've had the mixer just under a week and have used it to make blueberry muffins, banana muffins, and salted carmel blondies. I have a nice hand mixer, but there is not comparison between the two- the stand mixer whips up the batter in no time! I'm excited to try it on bread next- I have made a few batches of home made bread with my hand mixer, patiently holding it for 20 minutes as I kneaded the dough. Making dough now should be a breeze!

My mom also ordered The Homemade Pantry for me. I am definitely excited to try the recipe for granola bars and instant oatmeal (who knew that could be a diy project?)  There is a whole chapter on dairy products, which kind of skeeves me out, but I am intrigued by the butter recipe... basically you just whip heavy cream in the stand mixer until you have a liquid and solid- the solid is your butter and the liquid is buttermilk that can be used in baking recipes. 

With all this cooking I am also on the hunt for the perfect recipe box. I love using pinterest, but for those recipes that I use time and time again I think it will be handy to have a more permanent spot for them. Plus I did a spice cabinet overhaul (more on that later) so I have the space. I found an absolutely gorgeous specimen from sugar paper but the price is somewhat obscene. Paper source has a cute vintage inspired model for a quarter of the price, so I think that might just make its way onto my wish list.

No comments:

Post a Comment