Wednesday, October 29, 2014

toy organization


I have recently made some efforts to keep the toysplosion in this house to a minimum (or at least somewhat contained). The best thing I did was separate the toys into super simple categories via an algorithm into upstairs, downstairs, bedroom, bathroom, and in storage.

 I found the awesome chalkboard storage bins at Joann's to house the girls' train collection. One of the best ways to keep things under control is through storing like with like and having one place for everything, so I further categorized their collection to tracks, trains, and tchotckes. I try to keep their collections in their designated bin, but if a wayward tchotcke ends up with the trains, so be it. My parents and I are also creating some super awesome seating for the train area, so stay tuned...

The family room is still a work in progress. I want to create a gallery wall (the girls looove looking at photographs) and do a few more updates. Extra blankets are stored in the basket next to their chair. Toys that we only play with on occasion (blocks, bowling balls, and wooden toys that could be used for bludgeoning) are stored behind the chair. The shopping carts get parked and the food goes back in the play kitchen. It not pictured, but they also have an indoor bike that lives on the wall across from the play kitchen.




They play kitchen is one of our favorite toys. Unfortunately, one of the girls broke off the faucet, but so it looks a little wonky, but once they are a little older and past the twin-nado stage we will be able to reattach it. 

I need to find a storage system for within the unit- they food just goes in their all willy nilly and it drives me bonkers. I want to find some cute little storage bins so I can separate produce, breads, etc. There are some cute storage bins at ikea, but Justin has swore off that place, so we will see what I can come up with. I also want some sort of decor above the set- I'm thinking a cute fabric banner, perhaps with mint, blue, orange, chevron, and polka dot (are you listening mom?) would be perfect. I also need to snag and spray paint a bookcase from my parents and repurpose it into a pantry (although my dad is the master spray painter...)


Another Joann's find was this utensil bin that I turned into an art caddy. I used to throw mega tantrums when my mom wanted to go to Joann's, now I actually really like going there! In the caddy I store crayons, markers (not sure what I was thinking with that purchase) and play-doh. The girls love play-doh! They call it "balls" so whenever they want to play with it they run over and say "balls! balls! balls!" until I dig it out. 


The toy dungeon. Where toys live until they are rotated in. I have big plans for this room long-term (think custom shelving) but for the short term I want to pick up a few more small totes so I can further categorize the little people (i.e. princesses, farm animals, airplane people, bus people, etc.)



The upstairs toys. The downstairs collection tends to be the most fixed- it is the upstairs toys that get rotated the most often. I try have themes- right now we are playing with tools and cars. The girls always have books, shoes, and dress up clothes in their bin as well. Next to their basket is their instruments. I had to confiscate the drum sticks (see bludgeoning, above) but they have a nice variety of percussion tools in their. 


Another standard is that we always have a little people play set upstairs. Several more farm animals are hiding out in the silo. The girls love opening the silo door and taking the animals in and out. This week, I have been living on the edge and allowed them to have not one, but two play set upstairs #YOLO.


And to touch on my shoe organization solutions. The girls have more shoes than most some adults. I have 2 larger totes on their closet shelf that keeps out of season and special occasion shoes. The two smaller totes are on a storage unit in the closet within their reach. Most days they proudly bring them over to me, exclaiming "shoes! shoes!" and we pick out the pairs they feel like wearing together.


The girls are very particular about shoes and pajamas. In fact some of their biggest tantrums have been surrounding shoes (I have no clue where they would have gotten that from...). Claire has had full on meltdowns when I have had the audacity to put her in something other than her first choice shoe selection. And yesterday when we were in Scheel's Audrey freaked out because I had her try on a pair of shoes and didn't let her keep them (don't worry, we bought them... I just wasn't going to let her hold them until they were paid for). A sales associate came over and was all "oh no, you should like shopping..." I laughed and told her that disliking shopping wasn't the problem. Anyway, I'll have to pick up another pair of shoes for poor Audrey because Claire has claimed the Sperrys as her on. She spotted them on the kitchen table right away this morning and insisted on  putting them on first thing. When I got home from work, she still had the Sperrys on (she usually goes through 5 pairs a day, so she must really really like them). As for pajamas, that is Audrey's thing. She picks out the jammies that she and Claire wear each night (lately she has been going for Christmas jammies... so much for respecting the turkey...). I have tried a couple of times to put her in my choice instead of hers, and that does not fly.

Ooh, but back to they toys. The other categories are bathroom (pretty self explanatory) and bedroom. I keep their babies and stuffed animals in a 3 sprouts bin in the bedroom. Although, their babies are allowed to be played with in any room in the house (and sometimes even spend the night in the shopping cart, or if Audrey is feeling particularly mischievous,  the oven).

At any rate, my best tips for toy organization are categorize, categorize, categorize, and rotate them out. Also- don't be afraid to donate or sell toys they don't play with often. I have toy purgatory in the closet, where I put things that the girls are starting to outgrow. I'll bring it out after a few weeks vacation and if they are interested it lives to see another day in our home, if not it goes on to the next home.


No comments:

Post a Comment