Wednesday, August 29, 2012

overpackers anonymous

Hi, my name is Laura and I'm an overpacker.

I have always had a tendency to fill my suitcase to the brim... but in my younger years my mom was able to keep my bags from overflowing to a certain extent. I had the opportunity to travel to Europe in high school, and if it were up to me, my luggage would have weighed more than I did. I distinctly remember my mom asking me to bring one tube of lip gloss instead of ten (the horror) and limiting me to 2 pairs of shoes (hard to imagine me going anywhere with only 2 pairs of shoes, right?).

The next summer, we went on a family camping trip to Yellowstone. Since it was a road trip, I was able to pack my bags without it needing to pass the mom-inspection. I felt that it was necessary to bring 2 curling irons (I used them both) and platform flip flops (don't laugh, they were cool in 2000).

It seems the older I get, the more I add to my suitcase. We have a wedding this weekend, and so far my suitcase is filled with:

1. 4 dresses. Two options for the rehearsal, two options for the wedding. At work today I realized that my mom has another dress that I think I want to bring... so it looks like the final count will be 5 dresses.
2. 4 pairs of jeans, including one pair of maternity jeans. I have yet to need any maternity clothes, but just in case my belly magically grows another 3 inches in the next couple of days, I'll be prepared.
3. 5 tops, because I like to have options.
4. 4 cardigans, because I'm not sure which shirts I plan on wearing.
5. 6 pairs of shoes. I might throw in another pair of flats for good measure.
6. Various accessories and undergarments, including my beloved Be Band.



I know that I'll have to adjust my packing habits after the twins come... two dogs+two kids and all of the gear the need will take up a good portion of the available space in my car. But until then I am going to enjoy taking 50 pounds of luggage with me wherever I go :)


3 comments:

  1. As I said, I see a mini van in your future ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, forgot to sign my comment, but I am sure you knew it was me. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not ready for a mini van yet... maybe I'll keep a tote of clothes at your house for visits. Don't let me forget the floral dress!

    ReplyDelete