Monday, April 7, 2014

20 key pieces

Today I'm reviewing a list of key pieces that belong in most women's wardrobes. Keep in mind I work (part time) in a business casual environment. Most of my work with clients is via phone, so I have a fair amount of creative license with my wardrobe.  Before I had the girls, my job included meeting with families at least once a week or so (oftentimes standing at the front of the room) so I erred on the side of being conservative. But these days I spend most of my time in my little corner, so pile on the chambray, statement necklaces, and colored skinnies.

In the next few weeks, I will give more in depth descriptions and examples of my favorite pieces, but for now here is the overview:

1. Cognac bag- it goes with everything. Black piled on top of black can look a bit heavy, but cognac gives it a pop of color. Don't tell my husband, but a cognac bag is probably the only purse you really need.

2. Button down shirt- I prefer the portofino shirts from Express.

3. Skinny jeans- equally chic tucked into riding boots or rolled and paired with flats.

4. Colored pants- I prefer skinny to bootleg.

5. Black skirt- choose a shape that flatters your body type.

6. Wear anywhere dress- pick something that can be dressed up or down.

7. Boyfriend sweater- as comfy as a sweatshirt and much more chic (I recently saw something on Pinterest along the lines of "I would hate for someone to say my shoes look really comfortable" I think that statement could be applied to most of your wardrobe.

8. Chambray shirt- bonus points if it has polka dots.

9. Blazer- colored, knit- I don't care. You just need one. I never wear mine as part of a suit- I pair it with colored skinny pants or jeans.

10. Black or nude pumps- almond toe is my favorite.

11. Flats- has the comfort of the tennis shoe minus the clunkiness. Go for studded black, cognac, or leopard.

12. Cognac riding boots- flat and to the knee.

13. Statement heel- use to elevate a simple dress.

14. Scarves- can be picked up for around $10 at your local big box store. A super inexpensive way to add interest to basics.

15. Patterned shirt- I prefer polka dots.

16. Something leopard- ideally shoes and a scarf.

17. Leggings- no need to travel in sweats.

18. Statement necklace

19. Simple earrings- diamond studs or pearls are a good starting point.

20. Oversized sunglasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment