Thursday, January 10, 2013

my bags are packed...

... but I'm not ready to go quite yet- every night I tell the girls to stay put until their induction date at 38 weeks... hopefully they will be good listeners!

I started packing my hospital bag around 24 weeks, but just finalized it this evening. I am a chronic over-packer, so for me the best strategy was having multiple bags:


The blue bag is my main hospital bag that I will take along when I get admitted. It has a robe, nursing bras/tanks, a couple of t shirts, some comfy pants, a stretchy headband, open cardigans, the baby books (it has a spot for footprints), pajamas, a garbage bag (Justin is really particular about dirty and clean clothes going into the same bag, and I figure that after delivery my clothes might be truly dirty instead of just slightly worn), and an eye mask (ooh, I guess I need to remember to throw in my slippers too). A lot of my co-workers have said that they stayed in their hospital gown the entire time, but I plan on changing into pants and a t shirt or pajamas right after I'm able to shower.

The black bag with the zippers is the girls' diaper bag. I plan on leaving that in the car until after delivery. The bag has burp cloths (so we can have something with their scent to bring to the dogs), their going home outfit (plus one other outfit just in case) and some cute swaddle blankets. The hospital strongly encourages rooming in, so I figure when they are in the room with us I might want to take some pictures and use my pretty blankets instead of the hospital issued ones.

The bag behind the diaper bag is my toiletry bag- it will have my make-up, hair products, and a few personal care items in case I prefer my own to the hospital's. The toiletry bag will hang out in the car until I'm ready to shower (hopefully we get a good parking spot- Justin will be having quite a few trips to the car!).

Next to the toiletry bag is my "just in case" bag. It has another set of pajamas, a pair of jeans (wishful thinking, but they fit well into my pregnancy... so depending on how much I shrink I might be able to wear them), nursing tops, an extra open cardigan, and a few more tees. This will stay in the car and only come in if I end up hating everything I packed in my main hospital bag... like I said, I like to have options!

Then I have the boppy- this will also stay in the car until I need it. I've heard that the hospital will provide a boppy, so I might not need to use it at all.

Not pictured is my pillow- again, this will hang out in the car until after delivery. Justin has said that the hospital pillows are disgusting and super uncomfortable, so I'm sure I will appreciate having my own.

I think I should be prepared for my hospital stay- if not Justin can always go home to fetch more stuff :) I'm also hoping that my multiple bag strategy will prevent eye rolls from the nursing staff... I'm only bringing in what I really need at first (which is a good plan because my dr. said the room will be very crowded- there will be lots of medical professionals in the room!), the rest won't appear after delivery when I'm settled into the room I'll be staying in for the duration of my stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment